Sunday, December 5, 2010

A girl with no name 无名女郎 (part 5)

Hi everybody. Its me. I had to delay part 5 as I had lots of work to do and a project to rush. It was a lucky thing that today I have the time to write it. I like this part the most because when I wrote the story, I can visualise it like that of in a movie. This part was inspired by a movie only shown overseas(not in Singapore) , a person's encounter and abit of my own imagination. As much as I feel deeply connected to this part of the story, I hoped you would enjoy it with an open mind..

The story continues with a little controversy...

“WHAT?” I shouted so loud that anybody walking past the washroom could have even heard it.

“Ah Ling, I am Chris. Yes it’s really me. I just came to Singapore from Taiwan a few days ago. I am here to work and I managed to find a place to stay with my buddy who also came from Taiwan to Singapore to work too,” Chris sounded chirpy.

I was so delighted to hear his voice. Chris was my college schoolmate and we were in the same extra curriculum activity where we were in the same dance group. He was my dance partner on a few occasions when we needed to perform on stage. There were some stages where I was slightly attracted to him as he was not only good in dancing but also good in his studies.

“I heard you are working as a dancer. Could you tell me where you are working at? I am free today. I would like to pop by,” Chris showed his eagerness to see me.

I told him the address of my workplace and he promised me he would be there in twenty minutes. I looked at the watch and it was around one in the morning.

Another session of dancing began and we played our second set of songs which we had practised our dance moves earlier this week. I tried very hard to concentrate as I was a bit drunk.

When the flower girl came and gave me a ten-dollar flower, she pointed towards the right direction at the far corner and I saw Chris. I let out a big smile towards him as I waved to him. Chris also gave flowers to the others in the dance group. I felt as if the tiredness had worn out and I wanted to give my best performance to an old friend.

“Thank you Chris,” I gathered my other three dance partners to greet Chris as we finished our dance.

“Ah Ling, its good to see you after such a long time. You are a great dancer, but I would like to give you all my two cents worth of my thoughts on your dancing,” Chris complimented us as he seemed to have a serious tone near the end of his statement.

Chris had not aged much. His big eyes seemed to sparkle at every comment he made. Belinda and Carol seemed to be enchanted by his boyish looks and they nodded furiously at each comment he made. Kelly seemed to be a bit listless. When he stood up and showed us some dance movements of his own, I smiled to myself as I remembered the days when we practised our dance moves, holding each other in our arms as we danced in synchrony. I still remembered the times when his lips were close to mine during our rehearsals.

“Ah Ling, I am working as a creative director in an advertising firm. Choreographers also consult me at times about perfecting those dance movements to be performed in big events. If your boss needs my help to advertise this place, you can find me. I can also teach you a few pointers in the future when you are practising more dance moves in the future!” Chris exclaimed in a joking manner near the end of the statement as he passed his name card to me.

“Hey, if you are free, you can come up to my apartment later tonight,” Chris whispered to me as we had to leave to go to another table.

That small seed of attraction for him many years ago seemed to have grown very huge at an instant. He had not changed much in terms of his facial features but he became more muscular and when he spoke, he was confident with an ooze of intelligence in his words. I could not help but peek at him whenever I could. There was once when I turned to look at him and his smile mesmerised me to the point that one of the customers called my name a few times but I was in my own world: my own world with only him in it.

When it was time to knock off, I was very eager as I went off with Chris. As we reached his apartment, a male greeted us at the door.

“He is my buddy, Isaac. This is my friend, Ah ling,” Chris introduced.

Isaac grabbed Chris’s arm as he led him to the kitchen.

“Excuse me for a while, you just make yourself at home,” Chris turned his head round and shouted towards my direction as he was pulled to the kitchen.

He really lived up to his title as a Creative Director. The paintings of the wall are unorthodox and very modern. His furniture had a matt finish. His plasma television seemed to be blend in with the wall as the colours complimented very well.

There were three bedrooms. One of the bedroom doors was closed and the other two seemed to be of a vast difference to each other from what I could see from where I was standing in the middle of the living room. One was plain with only a single bed, a table and a few chairs. The other was very well-furnished with a queen-sized bed, a full-wall mirror, a C-shaped table and high-back wooden chairs. The built-in wardrobes had very unique triangular golden knobs dotted on them.

“Let me show you my room,” Chris’ voice from behind startled me a little.

He led me to the well-furnished bedroom as he closed the door behind us. I felt a sense of anticipation and a mild feeling of danger and vulnerability when he closed the door. I thought, what would he do to me?

“Surprise! Look at the door,” Chris sounded excited as he pointed at the door.

“Remember this poster. This pose that we made for advertising our performance many years ago,” Chris continued as he smiled widely at my direction.

I looked at the poster. I could not believe he still kept it after so many years ago. I did not even know where I had put my copy.

He took my hand and led me to the C-shaped table.

“I bought it at a furniture fair in here, it was very unique and I kind of like it, it is ..” he was interrupted as I put my finger on his lips.

He seemed startled as I put my hands on his big broad shoulders. As I leaned towards him, I felt so secured with him so close to me.

As I wanted to kiss him, he pushed me slightly away from him.

“Why? You have no feelings for me, or I am not worthy of you?” I asked with slight disappointment.

“No, its not that. You do not understand, Ah ling. I …” he was interrupted by the sudden opening of the door.

“Darling, your supper is ready. Ah ling you can join us to eat if you want to,” Isaac smiled at Chris and looked at my direction.

“Where did my pillow go to? Can you help me find it?” Isaac looked at the bed realising that there was only one pillow on the bed.

I stared at disbelief at the both of them. I felt that I did not have the energy to stand as I sat on the table. I was too shocked to try to express how I felt at that split second.

“You mean you two….” I did not know how to describe such an unconventional relationship between the both of you at that moment.

“Yes, we are together as an item,” Isaac spoke in a casual tone and he disappeared.

I tried my best to resist my tears from flowing out but a tear came oozing out of my right eye as it trickled down my cheek.

“Whats wrong, Ah Ling? Are you unwell?” Chris was very concerned as he held my shoulders.

I did not know which part of my head make me decide to muster my strength to take his right hand and put it on my left breast. I put my left hand and made sure his big hand was on it making him feel the full curvature of my breast.

He seemed expressionless as I stared at him with disbelief. I thought that was some hope that he could still feel attracted to me.

“You don’t feel turned on? I am not attractive to you? Touching a woman’s breast doesn’t even turn you on at all?” I cried out as I looked in his eyes intensely.

His right hand started to shiver as he seemed to be struggling to take it away. I took his hand away from my breast and I turned away from him and rushed off.

As I was about to leave his room, he pulled me so hard that I thought my arm was yanked off from my body as he pulled me and hugged me. His embrace was tight but yet so warm. He started to kiss my lips all of a sudden and I did not know why but I could not resist.

“It still feels the same as the last kiss we had after our successful performance. I feel so close towards you but yet I am not attracted to you in any way,” the kiss was abrupt as his words made my blood boil.

“Let go of me,” I ordered.

As he let go of me, I used all my strength to give him a tight slap on his face. He did not seem to react much to that slap across the face as if anticipating it to come.

“Chris, you are a disappointment. To tell you the truth, I had liked you since our college days. I was hoping that we could develop somewhere in here since we are both in Singapore. But now, I guess you can enjoy your blissful relationship with your gay partner,” torrents of tears came gushing down my cheeks as I was choked with both anger and disappointment.

I left his apartment without looking back as I tried to clear the tears away from my cheeks.

On the way back to my home, Chris called me umpteen times but I refused to pick up the phone call.

When the phone rang again, I wanted to tell him off not to call me ever again.

“Chris, stop calling me again!” I shouted nearly at the top of my voice.

“Are you ok or not? This is your auntie. Could you go over to Singapore General Hospital? Something happened to your mother. I would wait for you at the main lobby,” my auntie’s worried voice made me anxious.

“Uncle, send me to Singapore General Hospital instead,” I told the taxi driver as he was about to exit out to go towards my home.

What happened to her mother? Catch it on part 6!

No comments: